Understanding Hearing Loss

Katy Mitchell | View as single page | Feedback/Impact


Currently this page is in reference to the education system in England.

Hearing Loss
The following UK Government guidance is provided about hearing loss and screening at birth.


Disability Living Allowance
It is likely that you will entitled to claim Disability Living Allowance or DLA for a young child who wears hearing aids.

  This information booklet from the Department for Work and Pensions explains how to fill out the form. A DLA claim can be made 3 months after the point of diagnosis.




  The NDCS has written a booklet which will help you to fill out a DLA application if your child is under 3 years old





 or over 3 years.






Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
The SEND code of practice: 0 to 25 years explains the duties of local authorities, health bodies, schools and colleges to provide for those with special education needs.


Education Health and Care Plan
An Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan is for children and young people from birth to 25 who need more support than is available through special educational needs support. Families, nurseries, schools, doctors, health visitors and family friends can ask their local authority to carry out an assessment, if it is thought that an EHC plan if needed. If an assessment takes place, various reports will be considered and the local authority will tell you within 16 weeks whether an EHC plan is going to be made for your child.


Equalities Act 2010 (England, Wales and Scotland)
The Equalities Act is a law to protect against discrimination. It is a requirement that reasonable adjustments are made to promote access for children with a hearing loss.


Disability Access Fund
If a 3-4 year old child, in receipt of DLA attends attends nursery, the setting is eligible to receive the Disability Access Fund. Your local authority will be able to provide you with information to make this claim.